Broken Angel?

We live in a world full of so much we cannot touch or measure.
Our culture demands both for truth. I don't believe that. Probably many of you don't either. To do so is limited at best and at worst, destructive. Angels are messengers. I am no angel, but I am paying attention.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Demons

Putting together the sermon for Sunday, I stumbled on a presupposition that sticks between my teeth. This whole thing of Evil is dismissed in one way or another by the mythology of our culture. So I was forced to give a preamble to my sermon that was probably the most Philosophically Metaphysical that I've gotten in the pulpit for a while.
I'm writing a book right now, a novel that deals with Evil. It's a bear, or should I say a beast to finish it. I'm somewhere near the fourty-fifth chapter and as I come closer to wrapping it up, the laws of relaltivity have begun to take effect. I get shorter and shorter and infinitely heavy, or something like that. When I get the thing done and move into the editing phase, it will be a grand relief. Then I might get into this evil thing from a more philosophic perspective. Nobody else seems to be doing it. They're too busy twittering.
In some ways I think we don't have much of a perspective on evil because we don't have much of a perspective on anything that we can't touch, measure, or quanitfy. So, in some ways the labor to get a grip on this beasty would be an effort to lift our sights out of the technological and into a grander vista.
I know, I know, if you don't talk about it, it becomes less real. Tell that to the predator that follows you in the night. Said in less creepy terms, most things we ignore end up having power over us. We've all had a few of those.
Don't worry, I won't attempt any of this in this light hearted arena. But I might offer bits for reaction. Such a down to earth dialogue might be fun. Or in philosophically metaphysical language, "A diologic approach has often proved fruitful when the participants' presumptive limits can be put aside for the sake of approaching a new synthesis."
Okey dokey?

No comments: