Broken Angel?

We live in a world full of so much we cannot touch or measure.
Our culture demands both for truth. I don't believe that. Probably many of you don't either. To do so is limited at best and at worst, destructive. Angels are messengers. I am no angel, but I am paying attention.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Ya’ never know…

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, the author of the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner (“Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.”) was known to his contemporaries as a literary critic. He wrote reviews of poems and novels and stories and essays. He also wrote essays on how to write. He said in one of those essays that good fiction is that which “…creates a willing suspension of disbelief.”
I don’t know about you, but I find it hard to understand the world and all its amazing intricacies, let alone people and all of their various behaviors. Then there’s myself. I know me pretty well, and I still don’t get it sometimes when I react to this or that. Life really is a mystery, so far transcending my feeble perspective as to make me feel down right childish every time I consider “…the moon and the stars which God has ordained. What are we that Thou art mindful of us or our children that you care for us.” The writer of the 8th Psalm had the same problem I do. The size and complexity of the universe is stunning.
I remember, not that long ago, not that far away, I felt daunted by this, almost crushed. It was all too much for me. But at the time so was life. Right now, my life is a good place to be. I am very blessed with family and friends and meaningful work. But this ‘good life,’ this sense that my life is meaningful and blessed is not founded on these delightful accidents. If these were life’s secrets there would be no mystery involved. All we would need is a nice place to live and a good car and a few tolerant people around us and we’d be happy as clams. No, I think we are called to more than comfort.
This is where STC comes in. I think his guidance about fiction has something to do with finding meaning in life and our place in it. If we can’t suspend our disbelief, there is no reason to help anybody, to feed the hungry, to forgive, to be generous, to appreciate, or to learn. We will live locked behind defenses of opinion and prejudice, excluding anything that doesn’t fit into our neat and tidy systems. And when we are challenged, we’ll either get mad or we’ll be dismissive, much as the smart ones were when a few weirdo’s said the Earth might not be flat.
Maybe we all need to dream a bit more. What could be? Ya’ never know…

No comments: