Broken Angel?

We live in a world full of so much we cannot touch or measure.
Our culture demands both for truth. I don't believe that. Probably many of you don't either. To do so is limited at best and at worst, destructive. Angels are messengers. I am no angel, but I am paying attention.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Big Blue



I like to think of myself as a peaceable man. But I have to confess. I’m a Giant’s fan. Football is not a peaceable sport. People get hurt. I should not enjoy this kind of thing. But watching the Dallas game last Monday, I began realizing I was considering the game in teleological terms. Eli Manning’s mistakes in the beginning of the game were the mistakes of youth, as he grew he demonstrated balance and wisdom as he picked apart the Dallas defense. I caught myself. When we become philosophic about our ism’s, national, sex, race, or any of the other horrors that run Lucifer’s agenda among us, we are finding ways of excusing the terrors we promulgate upon the universe.
Perhaps the only way of making any sense of my joy at Dallas’ defeat is to admit that I am a human being. That cannot be an excuse, but it can be an edge for growth. Perhaps somehow I can be a more peaceable Giant’s fan. Maybe I can grieve at the way the Giant’s defense stops their run and runs over their quarterback. Maybe I can affirm their attempts at finding a ray of hope in the brutal onslaught of BLUE.
Oh well, I could say I was trying that, but I’d be a hypocrite. I enjoy the game. I enjoy the competition. I love cheering for Big Blue.
Does that make me a bad man? Well, there’s one thing about being a Presbyterian. We accept the reality that we are broken beings. And we accept the truth that without God’s forgiveness we are all up the creek.
OK, got that covered. Whew! Now I can get back to the game. Go Giants!
You got a problem with that?

No comments: