Broken Angel?

We live in a world full of so much we cannot touch or measure.
Our culture demands both for truth. I don't believe that. Probably many of you don't either. To do so is limited at best and at worst, destructive. Angels are messengers. I am no angel, but I am paying attention.

Monday, March 18, 2013

We’re not in Kansas, Toto





Being born a Presbyterian of Presbyterian father and Evangelical Lutheran mother, the pope was never much of a figure head to me. There are so many bits and pieces of me that lie far beneath choice, assumptions that preclude the entire idea of such a figure of authority let alone veneration. But as I have formed a personal mythology including mid-evil figures of nobility and authority, tangled with devotion to a very personal Lord makes Mr. Pope more intriguing. The concept, the focus, the incarnate power that all rest on those terribly human shoulders. And so much of the church’s direction depends on that one person’s willingness to reach beyond what has been or what’s comfortable. It's called potential.



All of that came clear to me when the new Bishop of Rome said that the church should be of the poor and for the poor. Something in me lit up. It was more than simply good news about a comment by an important guy. It was a light shining in the world and in my life. It gave me inspiration and motivation to be a more faithful follower of our Lord.



This past Sunday was a train wreck of teaching, worship, preaching, meetings, pastoral work, pre marital work, junior high fellowship, and a concert of sacred music. In the middle of the deluge a homeless young woman came wondering if she could find a place to sleep for a couple hours. Without thinking I opened my office, bedded her down on the couch there, gave her a blanket, got some shoes and sox from my wife and pizza from the youth group. I think my sense of normality, offering without thinking, at least part of it bubbled up from Frances’ statement. See what I mean?



I’m not in the process of converting. The protestant bed rock is still there. But it is nice to have an inspiration in a position of authority. And a Jesuit no less. We’ll see how it goes. I doubt he’ll be wearing the red shoes.









No comments: