Broken Angel?

We live in a world full of so much we cannot touch or measure.
Our culture demands both for truth. I don't believe that. Probably many of you don't either. To do so is limited at best and at worst, destructive. Angels are messengers. I am no angel, but I am paying attention.

Monday, August 28, 2017

Shame

I rarely launch into political issues. Studies have shown that our brains work in the same way when we’re discussing politics as they do when we’re cheering for our teams. In other words, though the Cowboys would never get my vote, I think we should put more thoughtful consideration into discussion of how our nation needs to be functioning than when we are hoping our team pounds another into the turf and screaming to that effect. I ask for prayers for our leaders, not because I approve of what they do, but because I think they need our prayers. I’ve led communities, dealing with different opinions, visions, attitudes, and personalities and I know that any kind of leader, if they are to be anything but exercising their egos must have compassion and a sense of service at the core of all that they do. Our nation was founded on a system of checks and balances that demand treating each other with respect and a sense of hope for reconciliation between differing opinions that would allow them to work with each other as citizens, honoring them even if we disagree with them. President Trump does not approach his job or the citizens of this nations with any sort of respect or a humility that might allow him to serve them. The recent speech he gave in Charlottesville made me ashamed to have him as the president of this country. I don’t think he understands what it means to be humble and I worry that his appeals to the worst attitudes of hate, and violence, and racism in our nation affirms these horrors and gives courage to those who would rather preach and teach and live by these attitudes than work to be a light of hope and freedom to the world. I am proud I am an American. I take the vision of the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, and the invitation to the world carved into the base of Lady Liberty very seriously. But this President does not disagree with my vision of our nation. He spits on it to be popular. He needs to face himself and what he is doing. This isn’t politics. This is evil. If there ever was a time to pray for our leaders it is now. Pray that our president develops a sense of shame about what he is doing.

No comments: